For personal use only. To publish or display, contact the State Library of Western Australia.
Title devised by cataloguer.
Very similar image to 012477D taken by A. Pickering and titled "From the top of lighthouse, Fremantle W.A." The number of boats in the bay and the people and horses at the warehouse indicate the difference in the images.
This image has been preserved and made available by the Historical Records Rescue Consortium Project supported by Lotterywest.
Area shown was known as South Bay, now the home of the Fremantle fishing fleet and Fremantle Sailing Club. The short jetty jutting southwards into the bay was known as South Jetty. This later became known as the `Fish Market jetty' and was later incorporated into present Cicerello's Fish market. The two buildings to the right on the shoreward end of the Long Jetty are a kerosene store (larger building) and what is believed to be the Morgue. The existence of the railway dates this to between 1881 and 1897. (See World Ship Society Fremantle Branch Newsletter June 2003, 387.5 FRE)